Many of our activity holidays are based from the French Pyrenees. If you choose one of these MountainBug holidays, you have a choice of accommodation either in the 3-star catered chalet, Les Cailloux, or the 3-star Hotel du Tourmalet. Both are owned by our founding Directors, Robert and Emma Mason, and are decorated and run to a high standard. The Hotel and Chalet are in the traditional mountain village of Barèges and provide the perfect opportunity to relax after a day’s activity.
Our trekking and special walking holidays involve staying in mountain refuges.
The renovated, 300 year old chalet, Les Cailloux, is rated 3-star by Gites de France. It has five spacious, ensuite rooms, one of which is a very large two-bedroom suite. As well as your room, guests have access to the spacious lounge and games room. Available on a half-board basis, all guests share breakfast and evening meals at our large dining table. Find out more about the chalet.
You can also read about the chalet as a skiing, snowboarding or snow-shoeing base on our ski chalet page.
The newly renovated 3-star Hotel du Tourmalet has ensuite bedrooms, a restaurant, cafe-bar, and other facilities you’d expect from a hotel of its class. Like all hotels, you can choose the basis of your board (bed and breakfast, half-board, full-board) and enjoy its facilities at your leisure. To find out more about the hotel specifically, please visit its website.
Please note that if you’re booking a MountainBug activity holiday, we will book your accommodation of choice (chalet or hotel) for you.
Chalet or hotel?
To help you decide which accommodation option is right for you, here are the key differences between the chalet and hotel:
- The chalet is very sociable. You eat breakfast and evening meals at our large dining table, shared with your fellow guests and chalet hosts
- The chalet has a communal living room with books, games, a projector screen for films and private (guests only) bar
- The hotel is more flexible with meal times - breakfast and dinner can be served at any time within a set period, while dinner in the chalet is served at a fixed time every night
- The chalet serves afternoon tea (tea, coffee and home-made cake), which is included in the price of your holiday
- Your meals in the hotel will be cooked by a professional French chef and are restaurant standard
- Your meals in the chalet are excellent, home-cooked food, prepared fresh each night by your hosts
- The hotel has a hot-tub, while the chalet has a sauna
- The hotel has a pleasant bar that is open to the public; the restaurant is also open to the public.
MountainBug trekking holidays involve staying in high mountain refuges. More information about mountain refuges.
If you would prefer self-catering accommodation, we are happy to reccommend www.pyrenees-apartment.com, also based in Barèges. Staying here you can join us for day trips.