This is our page for all the useful links, books, companies and people we have come across.
This list is by no means extensive so if you come across something, in any language, please contact us and let us know.
Please note – we are not recommending any one book or company. These are suggestions.
Getting to Barèges, Pyrenees
Skiing, snowboarding and winter sports
Pyrenees hiking, walking & trekking
- Walks and Climbs in the Pyrenees, a Cicerone Guide by Kev Reynolds
- Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne, Georges Veron et Jérôme Bonneaux – guide to the HRP trek
- Vers les refuges des Pyrénées, Les Guides Louis Audoubert – guide to Pyrenean refuges
- Hautes-Pyrénées, La Nouvelle Rando, de Lourdes à Cauterets et Gavarnie – short walks (up to 3 hours) in the area around Lourdes, Cauterets and Gavarnie
- Les Sentiers d’Emilie dans les Hautes-Pyrénées, Vol 1- short walks (up to 3 hours) in and around the High Pyrenees
- Trekking in the Pyrenees, Douglas Streatfield-James - English language book on treks in the Pyrenees, with hand drawn maps
- Luz-Saint-Sauveur et ses environs à pied, www.frrandonnée.fr – illustrated guide to short walks in and around Luz (up to 6 hours)
- Hautes Pyrénées, Randonnées dans les Pyrénées, Gael Hermitte – illustrated guide to short walks in the High Pyrenees
- Hautes-Pyrénées, de plaines en vallées, Guide Touristique – Guide to the areas of the High Pyrenees, with information on history, culture etc.
Activities in the Pyrenees
- Descentes de Canyons dans le Haut-Aragon, Patrick Gimat – guide to canyons in the Spanish High Pyrenees of Aragon
- Passages Pyrénéens, Rainier Munsch, Christian Ravier, Rémi Thivel – technical climbing guide
General - Mountain Activities
- Snow Sense – a guide to evaluating snow avalanche hazard by Jill Fredston & Doug Fesler
Pyrenean nature, flowers, animals etc.
- Copain des Pyrénées, le guide des petits pyrénéens - excellent illustrated children’s book all about the Pyrenees
- Connaître la flore des Pyrénées, Cécile Lemoine et Georges Claustres – Flowers of the Pyrenees
- Fleurs du Parc National des Pyrénées, Tome 2, Georges Dupias – Flowers in the Pyrenean National Park
- Glaner dans les Pyrénées, Bernard Bertrand et Philippe Degrave – book about wild food in the Pyrenees, with photos and illustrations
History of the Pyrenees and its areas
- Les Vallées du Barège - Barèges, Luz St-Sauveur, Gavarnie by Pierre Bèze
- Barèges – Pays Toy et Pic du Midi by Pierre Bèze
- The Perfect Heresy by Stephen O’Shea – very readable book about the Cathars
- The Basque History of the World, Mark Kurlansky – well written book about the Basque people and their impact on the world
Pyrenees food and drink
- Le Guide des vins du sud-ouest – guide to wines in the region
Expedition Kit Hire offer high quality clothing and equipment for any type of expedition, e.g. from Polar, High altitude, desert treks in Morocco or tropical treks in Costa Rica.
"Our aim is to provide a seamless, first class customer service for our clients offering top quality products for their adventure travels and expeditions across the globe. If we do not stock an item we probably can source it, so please get in touch."
MountainBug customers get a 10% discount. You need to tell Expedition Kit Hire the date of your holiday with us and your name, to receive this discount.
Travelaholics: Hostels and Cheap Hotels Worldwide